North Burnett Regional Council makes strategic and operational decisions on invasive species management based on a range of factors. These factors include federal and state government imperatives, local government initiatives (either singularly or collaboratively), industry best practice and community behaviours and desires. While the Council is responsible for ensuring that invasive species are managed in accordance with the Biosecurity Act 2014, the whole community has a responsibility to take action. Council has developed a Biosecurity Plan that describes how invasive species will be managed collaboratively in partnership with our communities.
North Burnett Regional Council Land Protection Officers
North Burnett Regional Council Land Protection Officers work to implement the North Burnett Regional Council area Pest Management Plan. Land Protection Officers are available to assist you in the identification of pests and to give advice on best practice management of declared weeds that you may have growing on your property. To contact the Land Protection Officers for assistance in identification of potential weeds or advice please contact North Burnett Regional Council on 1300 696 272.
North Burnett Regional Council Biosecurity Program
Notice of a Surveillance Program for invasive pest species nominated in the North Burnett Regional Council Biosecurity Plan 2019-2024 – Biosecurity Act 2014
The purpose of the program in the North Burnett Regional Council area is to:
- Confirm the presence, and extent of the presence in the North Burnett area of prohibited or restricted matter;
- Confirm the absence in the North Burnett Regional Council Area of Prohibited or Restricted to which the program relates;
- Monitor the effects of measures taken in response to a biosecurity risk posed by prohibited or Restricted Matter;
- Conduct inspections on public and private land to determine to presence, extent and risk posed by prohibited or restricted matter;
- Surveillance will be undertaken by Authorised Officers by visual ground inspections. Inspections may also be undertaken by aerial surveys;
- Monitor treatment programs and enforce compliance where necessary.
The surveillance program is authorised for the whole of the North Burnett Regional Council area. Individual properties will be selected for inspection based on observations or known presence of prohibited or restricted biosecurity matter or reports of restricted biosecurity matter.
01/02/2021 – 28/01/2022
A copy of the Program (Including its Authorisation) will be available for inspection at the North Burnett Regional Council Customer Service Centres. A copy of the Program Authorisation will be provided on request by contacting North Burnett Regional Council on 1300 696 272.