Roadside Burning

‘Burning Off’ on Local Road Reserves & Other Council Controlled Reserves

Do you need an approval to burn off?

Is the land you wish to burn off a council road reserve or other council land? If yes you will need to apply for ‘approval to burn’ from North Burnett Regional Council. If you are not sure please contact Council’s Environmental Health team on 1300 696 272.

How do I apply for approval?

Download the application form and factsheet below or you can contact Council on 1300 696 272. You can submit the form by mail, email, fax or in person at any NBRC office. See the contacts page for the relevant contact details.

Roadside Burning Application

Roadside Burning Factsheet

How long does it take?

Council endeavours to process your application within 10 business days. A letter of approval will be mailed to you with any approval conditions.

How long is the approval valid for?

Your approval to burn will be valid for 12 months from the date of issue.

Don’t forget to get a fire permit from your local fire warden as per normal.

Further Information

In accordance with schedule 60 of the Local Government Act 2009, North Burnett Regional Council is responsible for the management of all local rural roads within its boundary and therefore plays a key role in the conservation and management of remnant vegetation that exists within the roadside reserve.

It is the responsibility of Local Government and State Government Agencies under the Fire and Rescue Service Act 1990 to address potential vegetation fuel load problems in the road reserve.
Residents are advised that the procedure for obtaining permission to ‘burn off’ local road reserve or any other council control reserve is as follows:

  1. Ascertain whether the road reserve is a Main Road or Local Rural Road.
  2. If it is a Main Road, please contact the District Director, Main Roads, Locked Bag 486, Bundaberg DC 4670 (07) 41540264.
  3. If it is a North Burnett Regional Council Local Rural Road please contact Council’s Department of Development and Environment.
  4. If it is an Urban or Village area in the North Burnett region please contact Council’s Department of Development and Environment.
  5. Obtain an ‘Application for Approval to Burn a Rural Road Reserve or Other Council Controlled Reserve’ from North Burnett Regional Council.
  6. Return completed form to North Burnett Regional Council for assessment. The site will be inspected and depending on climatic conditions and vegetation types a letter of approval may be issued from North Burnett Regional Council.
  7. If Council approval is issued then make application to the local Fire Warden for a permit to light a fire.
  8. Take your letter of approval issued by North Burnett Regional Council and your completed application for a ‘Permit to Burn’ form to the appropriate fire warden.
  9. Your local warden will assess your application and issue you with a permit to burn including the necessary conditions and procedures.
  10. At all times the ‘Permit to Burn’ MUST be accompanied by a letter of approval from North Burnett Regional Council.
  11. Residents are advised that it is an offence to carry out any burn-off on a local rural road reserve or other Council controlled reserve without the appropriate permit.

For Further Information please contact our Environmental Health team on 1300 696 272

(Visited 249 times, 1 visits today)